Call for PhD students is open.
Apply by April 1, 2024
Interested students are welcome to inquire about vacancies throughout the year as additional positions may become available.
We encourage young, enthusiastic students intrigued by the interdisciplinary nature of the Vienna Graduate School of Population Genetics to apply for the program within the application deadline. Our students show a high level of dedication and activity and integrate into an international team with English as the working language.
We welcome candidates with backgrounds in either theoretical, computational or experimental fields such as bioinformatics, biomathematics, statistics, evolutionary genetics, functional genetics, theoretical and experimental population genetics. Applicants with a genuine interest for interdisciplinary research in evolution will be preferred.
Only complete applications will be considered!
- application form with indication of two preferred topics
- a motivation letter with a statement of research interests
- university certificates including grades. Please enclose a copy of your university degree that enables you to pursue a PhD study (diploma, master; credit hours need to be equivalent to 300 ECTS); if you will earn your degree after the deadline: please supply recent transcripts
- at least two reference letters assessing your scientific qualifications need to be e-mailed directly to us (please contact your referees proactively and use the referee request below as a guideline). Please consider that your referees may need some time to prepare and send their letters within the deadline!
download referee request
The selected candidates will be invited for an interview with the faculty members.
The interview will consist of three phases:
- presentation of one publication selected by the applicant from five publications suggested by the faculty
- questions of the faculty to the applicant about the paper and the applicant's background and motivation
- questions of the applicant to the faculty
The final decision is made by the faculty, aiming to recruit the candidates with the highest scientific potential.
Start date for successful candidates: Summer 2024.
Accepted PhD students will receive a monthly salary based on currently EUR 2.464,80 before tax according to the regulations of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).